FOODS TO AVOID IN TREATMENT
Eating certain foods can cause damage to your braces and wires. Loose bands, broken brackets, and broken wires cause delay in your orthodontic treatment. Here is a list to help guide you on what not to eat:
- ICE… Never. It will damage your braces.
- PIZZA CRUST… The hard crust can bend the wires. The Pizza part is okay.
- HARD PRETZELS, HARD ROLLS, BAGELS… They bend the wires and brake brackets.
- DORITOS, HARD TACOS, CHEETOS and the LIKE… They are too crunchy!
- APPLES… Slices are okay. Just don’t bite directly into the whole apple.
- CORN ON THE COB and RIBS… Cut the corn off the cob and meat off the bones.
- BEEF JERKY and SLIM JIMS… Too tough for braces.
- LOLLY POPS, JOLLY RANCHERS and HARD CANDY… They weaken your braces when you bite into them. Too tempting to bite, so don’t even try it.
- POPCORN… The little kernels get between the gum and the braces.
- RAW CARROTS… Slice them thinly and eat with your back teeth.
- NUTS… Nuts are way too hard. No nuts of any kind.
- CARAMEL CANDY, BUBBLE GUM, TAFFY… It sticks and will pull wires out!
- PENS AND PENCILS… Chewing on pens, pen caps, or pencils can break brackets!
Brush your teeth immediately after each meal, including snacks. If it is inconvenient to brush, then rinse your mouth with clear, colourless water.
There are many other foods that may cause trouble. If you are in doubt, ask us about a particular food item.
REMEMBER: NOTHING STICKY, CHEWY, OR HARD, AND NOTHING VERY SWEET. AFTER TWO BROKEN BRACKETS, THERE WILL BE A $25.00 FEE TO REPAIR OR REPLACE EACH ADDITIONAL BROKEN BRACKET, SO BE CAREFUL!